Thursday 22 May 2014

FMP evaluation


Briefly describe the final outcome of your project and the progress you have made, and if applicable how it differs from your original Project Proposal:

My branding project has turned out to be successful even though i did not achieve all targets as listed in the proposal, however all important parts were achieved to a high level. 
The final pieces worked well and the whole brand came together. There are  applications to show this along with gameplay screen shots, logo, merchandise, character design and advertising. Merchandise includes canvas bags, t-shirts and packaging. I thought about doing something different as there are many brands out there, I even presented the brand in my own way - the illustration of black and white outlines for mobile devices. 
The characters i created took longer than planned, this was due to it being a first experience and did not know what the expect. i had to try out different media and development before starting on these models. It was also difficult painting and drawing on a 3D surface as it was something new for me, but i would say i have done a good job within the time limit with many other targets to meet.
There are more that could have been done, for example webpages, videos, trailers. but time was limited to 7 weeks and my knowledge to programs were limited therefore it was difficult to include them. In the future i would very interested to learn motion graphics programs such as after effects to build my knowledge in graphic design, if there were more time i would have some simple videos of moving scenes for the game. 


What methods have you used to show how your learning has effected your project eg FMP Blog/ FMP Plan/ sketchbooks etc, and how has this helped with development of your work:

I found using my sketchbook one of the most important aspects in order to enhance this project, the sketchbook is where i really put down everything i thought of, put down all the research that i have done with detail of analysing. i can always refer to my sketchbook to get ideas when i am stuck, it helped me start ideas, start development of my final project. 

As well as my sketchbook, the blog has has also helped me problem solve, the blog is where i analyse and talk about my work, sometimes when i blog and my work becomes digital, it becomes more clear that some parts may not work as good. Therefore i go back to my sketch book and re design or change parts that are necessary. 

I developed my skills when i visit galleries, to be inspired and to develop my ideas for my own project, there are many exhibitions that ravensbourne has brought us to which really helped my illustrations and my brand. I understand more how to analyse different artist's work. i understand that most of the time in research i don't have to research into the same area. i had many ideas from not researching into games but instead looking into fashion, science, illustrations styles, music and more. 

The FMP plan helped me in a certain extent, it helped me start project as i was a little bit confused of where i begin but as the weeks went along i think it helped me less, this could be just a personal preference as i am always organised and maybe didn't feel the plan helped as much. 


List the targets met (from the original FMP Plan and any that were added later):

Target met 
name and logo
character design
advertising (photography, illustrations - posters, packaging) 
applications and merchandise (gameplay, t-shirt print, packaging, canvas bags)


Target not met 
Character design - looking into movement of characters eg postures. 
Advertising - billboards, flyers, webpage, video/trailer 


Reflecting on your overall final major project, please discuss any developments which have contributed to the final outcome:

There were many struggles and ideas to overcome and choose to develop. For the logo, coming up with name was harder than expected. Lots of names were an idea but didn't feel if it was the one. Finally chosen the name to be AVMO, i started a very simple questionnaire asking around 40 people - what does AVMO sound like to you? - most people answered with some sort of game. That was what made me decide to develop that name. 

The type i wanted to go for needed to be individual, therefore i did not try and choose an existent font apart from sub titles. the actual logo i wanted it to be created personal for it to become unique. i wanted to give the impression of some kind of war game, hence i added the weaponry onto the font, and monster looking character for the letter "O". At first the letter didn't really work with the illustration, i then began making the letters A V M O more of a solid type and bold. The small illustration suited with the solid background of the letters. 

The development of 3D models and back to 2D was a new concept for me, this was one of the major development of my brand. First making the models (3D), testing different media and seeing which worked best. Each media gave different texture and different shades of colour, i chose to use markers over paint as it stuck to the model better, the colour is more vibrant, it dried quicker and it worked like acrylic when mixing colours. 
After making the models I photographed them with high quality camera, i put the models in context, i thought about the scenes and background before photographing and editing them. The project has definitely made me realise the importance of photography. 

After photographing them, i wanted to take the models to more 2D and i converted them into illustration, i used adobe illustrator and editing them, this turn out i think one of the best pieces i have done so far. I realise developing something from 3D to 2D can really help me understand it mroe as it was something physical and realistic that first worked with. 

Please state what advice you received from others during your FMP, and discuss what you found particularly useful: you should refer to group reviews, one-to-one tutorials and feedback from evaluation groups

In tutorials, the tutors really helped me by telling me whether I'm on target or off target with the time limit. This helped me realise how much less time i had to completed this project and made me worked harder and more efficiently. Tutorials also help me keep up to date with my work, they ensure that my sketchbook is up to date and not falling behind. 

the feedback week from other students, ensured me as well with my sketchbook. It seemed like i have been working to the expected standard receiving merit/distinction as a target. Another aspect was that i needed ti show more problem solving in my sketchbook. This i found hard as sometimes many problem solve i do is continuous and doesn't really appear on my sketchbook, when i evaluate i mention this therefore most is on the blog. 

Key points to take away – things to change about my approach (give at least 2) eg improve time management, what skills you have developed and how this will affect your future course/career and things to continue doing and to build on.
What are you going to do next year?

I have learnt fruitful amount to be a better designer/illustrator, I learnt the ability to work on and turning something 3D back to 2D can be a very effective way of working as it made me understand more about the object due to the physical handling and actually working on a realistic piece. It helped me develop the 2D piece to be much stronger and easier in some ways.

That photography can enhance your work and can develop your work when illustrating. I learnt this as the photographs i took with the models, placing them in a scene and certain background gave me ideas in illustrating posters, the high quality picture also helped me edit in photoshop and then based on those photos develop my illustrations. 

I have developed my program techniques especially in adobe illustrator, i discovered many new tools and options which i can build and enhance my work. I tried presenting my work in a different way, trying something new and always experiment. 

This project has made me as a designer to always make physical things and see how they can work when turned back to 2D. it changed how I view galleries and exhibitions, realising how effective these visits can be. I also realise that inspiration can come from anywhere and really not to stick the subject that your project is about, always look in other directions and angles eg fashion etc. Also in the future i would take photography with more effort as it sometimes really do help whether its ideas development or enhancing final pieces. 

Next year i would be doing a Graphic and Illustration degree course at Loughborough university, i would like to particularly experiment motion graphics, animation and improve on my illustration skill whether if its on paper or digital. 

No comments:

Post a Comment